Saturday, February 12, 2011
Blog Post 2
I bet by now I've weeded out any non-sports enthusiasts. Too bad too, I was just about to get to music. In addition to playing soccer and coaching, I'm a huge music freak. I only say freak because I go through way too much trouble (never too much- just more than most people) to find music I really enjoy, as well as figure out how I can see it. For example, this past summer a friend and I trucked as far as Maine and back for the sole purpose of seeing music and whatever else we came across. It was an incredible experience for both of us, and, unfortunately, I haven't seen this friend recently. He left for Tennessee to work on a farm (I would suspect an organic one), and hasn't really had a phone since. What you might find interesting is that, in the eyes of many, in fact most, my friend "went crazy." This is because he decided to be a vegetarian, drop out of school, and work on a farm. I heard plenty of things, mostly the brief but broad "he went crazy" or "he just lost it," but all of this really only pointed one generalized thing out to me, which is this: People's perceptions are solely based upon their own experiences, and once something either challenges, or worse, confuses those perceptions, then people (usually) combat these notions (the ones that challenge or confuse their perceptions). One way of combattance is to dismiss the notion as "crazy," implying that anyone "in their right mind" would not consider such a thing (this is regardless of what the notion truly is); this is what I witnessed most in this scenario. Also common, another form of combattance would be to oppose the notion, we see this in many other similar scenarios. Unfortunately, what seems to be the least common approach, is to identify with the notions, seperating ourselves from our own perceptions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That's perceptive. We all don't need to be on the same path. I can look at the members of my own family and see that. And we shouldn't expect everyone to "be like us."
ReplyDeleteK. Smith
Eng. 226
That is such an awesome thing to do to travel all the way to Maine and back just for music. I see your passion for it is sincere. I am sorry about your friend, but yes we all can not be on the same path. Some people do their own thing that we will never understand.
ReplyDeleteKrysta