So, I thought a little about my post last week. I think I ought to explain a few things. First, I know exactly where my friend's head is at. I know exactly what he is thinking (well, not exactly, but yes, I do understand why he is where he is). So, here goes nothing (or rather, everything). I'll start with what I'm not sure about, and move onto what I do know. First, I don't know that the best way to serve "the cause" is to immediately lead by example. I think that, given our societal bounds and limitations, one doesn't have to abandon society altogether to advocate for a change. Rather, I think that it is important to manipulate and take advantage of these silly bounds/limitations, so that, once you have, you can, from a (according to the masses) more "respected" position be advocating for whatever. This is my friend's and mine only disagreement. While he's ready to lead by example, I think it's important to take advantage of society (no matter how absurd it is) in order to affect change. Of course, there's the difference really, regardless of whatever else I say. I think he's looking for his own individual spiritual growth (undeterred by society), while I'm looking to advocate and affect societal growth, simultaneously growing as a spiritual individual (at least, hopefully). This doesn't mean that I will never live my life in a way that is by example, in fact, I've started, I'll continue, and I'm sure one day, both of us will be on the same page. However, he's fully pushing himself towards this, without trying to take advantage of society, rather, he's abandoning it. I understand this. I relish it, actually. I can't wait to visit and spend some time in the same fashion.
But here's what everyone reading this is probably wondering, what the hell am I talking about? Here's what I'm talking about: We all come from this Earth. No matter what you believe, I find it pretty hard to deny that everything is in some way interconnected. Every atom, every molecule, every cell, every organ, every organ system, every organism, every ecosystem, EVERYTHING is interconnected. So, knowing this, we really should look out at the world as ourselves. I'm not saying there isn't a God. What I'm saying is that there is God, but that we are seriously denying ourselves spiritual opportunity by living the way that we are. We seperate ourselves entirely from our mother, and consequently, from ourselves as well. So here's what he's doing, and why: Simple living and high thinking. Simply put, live off of the land, more or less sustainably, and live civilized. I don't mean civilized as in usual terms; in fact, I'd say usual terms deem civilized man as one of the most uncivilized creatures. Here's what I mean by this, we're given, by nature, so many different and delicious (and nutritious) things to eat. We don't need to kill animals in order to get food. We need to live peacefully in a symbiotic nature. Think of the cow, he eats grass all day, and supplies us with milk. Now, unless you're a vegan, I'm pretty sure you've enjoyed milk before, let alone the countless number of foods you can make from it. So, while I know this has gone all over the place (my apologies), what I'm trying to say is that my friend is living life the way it is, in essence, supposed to be lived. This is not counting out charitable actions or any kind of existence that promotes wellbeing, etc. This is to say that our current way of living typically, is conducive on so many levels. It hurts us as spiritual beings, which we are (account for your own existence if you disagree). It hurts us with concerns to health; look at our diseases! Now, before you say I'm crazy, did you know the animals that carry the most diseases per population are those that have the most interaction with humans? Not surprising, at all really. Finally, it hurts us individually. Look at the travesties that occur on other continents that we turn our backs to. How can we be proud of our country when there are others that need assistance? Be proud of individuals, be proud of good doers, be proud of those who really try, but be quick to recognize and discourage actions that are founded for selfish reasons, and you'll soon understand why our world is the way it is today. If you read all of that, sorry it was so all over the place, ask me about what I left out and I'll gladly share. Don't worry, though, I won't be waiting for a response.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
He's doing what I'd like to do. I don't have my chickens yet, but I do have gardens, and I'm trying to compost (not very successfully). If I could stay home most of the time and work from here, I'd be closer to my goal.
ReplyDeleteYou're right, though. We all (I hope) want the same things; we just go about getting them differently.
K. Smith
Eng. 226