Taking a break from the research I've been talking about, I'd like to take this opportunity to talk about a few things. I just moved into a new apartment about a month ago, and while the restrictions are obvious, I've been working on starting a compost. Ultimately, I plan to include this in the process of growing my own food and having a self sustaining garden. For anyone interested in gardening, check out companion gardening and permaculture; nowadays, there's plenty of well organized information (that's easy to access) about which plants grow well together and form symbiotic relationships, etc. Anyways, there's my idea for the compost. When I was younger, we had a large metal cylinder we kept the compost in, which we were able to turn because it was on an axis. Currently, I'm just using a plastic box with soil, some shredded leaves and things, plus food wastes and other stuff in it. What I'd like to do is to build a miniature cylinder that i can turn, similar to the one my family used when I was younger.
Additionally, I'd enjoy any help in creating this compost than anyone would like to offer. If you happen to recycle your things, maybe you want to go the extra mile and separate your stuff into three containers: waste, recycle, and compost. If you do, I'd gladly pick up two of the 3 (my apartment complex doesn't recycle, so I have to make trips to the dump anyways) and include your food waste in the compost. Ideally, I'd like to have to move my compost to my friend's place where there's more room, all I need is some help filling it.
One thing I've thought a lot about recently is why so many people want to recycle. I don't mean to say that I don't know why we should recycle, because I do. But, many people don't really gear their lives in that direction, but when it comes to "being green" they make sure to point out that they recycle, etc. So why do people think it is "good" to recycle? My answer is very simple. If you can appreciate the idea of every living and even non living thing being interconnected and a part of everything else, then you realize that serving to benefit other things (anything from another individual to a tree to recycling your water bottles) actually benefits yourself, because you are everything, in a sense. With that idea in mind, you're essentially able to answer any moral dilemma, or any question as to "why is this right or good?" If you can grasp that concept, everything else falls into place.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Nick! I am curious to see hear how you are doing on the quitting smoking! I wish you best of luck with that!
ReplyDeleteMaria Cimino
Nick, I just planted my first flowers this week. I have never even thought about composting but you've given me something to think about :) Thanks!
ReplyDeleteI think that it is great that you want to start your own compost. I hope you can accomplish that in your apartment. It is hard for people who have never thought about recycling to start recycling now, but it must be done. I thought it was fantastic when Shreveport got curbside recycling, but I noticed a lot of my friends that didn't use the service. It wasn't that they didn't care. I think they had just been programmed to throw everything away in one trash. They now have to make an effort to compute in their brain to actually look at what is being thrown away. It just takes a little time but if we keep letting the public know what they are suppose to do, I am sure we will get there eventually. The world, I think is going through an evolutionary change and it is about time!
ReplyDeleteI have garden boxes (raised beds) and plenty of flower plots around my near-acre. I have a compost box, but I need to "heat it up" with some black plastic. You can use a black garbage can; drill holes in the bottom for the "tea" to drain out, and use a shovel or pitchfork to "turn" the compost.
ReplyDeleteI don't put cooked food into my compost--only raw scraps. I do add coffee grounds and filters, tea bags (sans staples), etc.
I've been planted gardens for several years. If the weather would only cooperate, I might actually get something from them! I did harvest broccoli, collards, and cabbage--still have some of the last two. I just planted tomatoes, squash and eggplant. More to come.
K. Smith
Eng. 226